The Motoross is Aaron Ross’ first new signature frame in almost 5 years. When we sat down with Aaron to discuss the design we asked him to start from scratch. After some debate he came back to us with 3 main requests.
The first was to focus on simplifying manufacturing to allow for a more traditional look and a lower retail price. Next on the list was steepening the head tube angle for a more responsive and up-to-date steering feel. For his last request, Aaron asked us to make the lower headset bearing flush with the head tube when a fork with an integrated race is installed. Changing the head tube angle and making the bearing flush was easy. However, simplifying manufacturing while still maintaining the level of strength that Sunday is known for was a significant design challenge. To solve this problem we used custom drawn and butted tubing for both the top tube and down tube. Each tube has been uniquely dimensioned to handle the stresses that the front triangle has to cope with. The down tube also makes use of an eccentric internal butting shape at the head tube, which allows for a much thicker cross-section in the area where an external gusset would normally be. The end result is the exact frame that Aaron was looking for. Simple, reasonably priced, and responsive. The Motoross comes in three colors. The first is Black Splatter, a base coat of black with hits of the Ocean Blue and bright yellow finishes from Aaron’s earlier Sundays. The next is Orange Soda, one of the most popular colors we’ve ever done, and the last is Cool Gray, a color that Aaron rode when he was growing up in Corpus Christi, Texas.
We’re proud to launch the Motoross with Aaron for 2014. You can expect to see it in shops in the Spring. Get ready, you’re going to be stoked.
TOP TUBE LENGTH: 20.75” or 21”
HEAD TUBE ANGLE: 75°
SEAT TUBE ANGLE: 71°
BOTTOM BRACKET HEIGHT: 11.5”
CHAIN STAY: 13.25-13.5”
STANDOVER (C-TO-C): 8.5”
WEIGHT: 5 lbs
COLORS: Black Splatter, Orange Soda and Cool Gray.
- Slimmed down dropout shape with proven integrated chain tensioners.
- Custom drawn and butted down tube. Internal butting is eccentric at the head tube for greater durability.
- Custom drawn and butted top tube for increased overall strength.
- Tapered chain stay.
- Tapered seat stay.
- Proven slim wishbone design.
- Proven miter-cut top tube and seat stay junction for increased overall strength.
- Black Magic rustproof coating.
- Angled Vanishing Point removable brake hardware “disappears” when removed for brakeless riding.
- Removable Sunday Slim seat clamp.
- Post-weld machined Mid bottom bracket bearing seats for a precision fit and ease of installation.
- Post-weld machined integrated head tube bearing seats for a precision fit and ease of installation.
- Flush lower head tube bearing seat for forks with integrated races.
- Post-weld heat-treated throughout.
- Lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. 3-year limited frame damage warranty. Please check the warranty section of the Sunday website soon for more details.
Splatter frame photos via Devon Hutchins